Media Release : Enjoying Songkran Festival 2015!
As Songkran, the Thai New Year is around the corner, we are prepare and sharing an information related to Songkran Festival. Just like this article is about Songkran and some tips for enjoying the celebrations of Songkran in Thailand.
So, what city would you like to visit for Songkran? Bangkok, Chiang Mai, or even Pattaya? Well, any cities is okay, just make sure you read this till the end :)
What is Songkran?
Songkran is Thailand’s most famous festival. This important event in the Buddhist calendar marks the beginning of the traditional Thai New Year. The name Songkran comes from a Sanskrit word meaning ‘passing’ or ‘approaching’.
Why use Water In Songkran Festival?
The real meaning behind the water is to symbolically cleanse all misfortunes of the past year and to welcome the New Year with a clean and fresh new start.
Traditionally, Thai people would politely pour a bowl of water on members of the family, their close friends and neighbors for good fortune and to pay their respects. As Songkran has taken a more festive note, a bowl has evolved into a bucket, garden hose and water guns, and the festive spirit of this holiday is shared among all residents and tourists alike.
Do’s & Don’ts in Songkran Festival!
What Should You Do :
- Do use waterproof bags to protect your valuables.
- Do watch your belongings.
- Do use public transportation if you are heading to one of Songkran ‘hotspots’, as traffic will be paralyzed.
- Do try wishing the locals a happy new year in Thai – “Sawasdee Pee Mai!”.
- Do smile and have fun.
What Should You Do not TODO :
- Do not douse monks, babies or the elderly.
- Do not drive when you have been drinking.
- Do not throw water with ice or dirty water.
- Do not throw water at motorcyclists, to prevent road accidents.
So, do you like to enjoy Songkran Festival in Thailand these year? Then you must read this article about “Enjoying Songkran Festival 2015!”. Well, after that you should also prepare your visit to Thailand by booking a hotel before the festival. You don’t want to missed out the festival right? :)
Happy Adventure, Traveler!!
Follow us on Instagram @idbcpr, Twitter @idbcpr and like our Facebook page!